Sports Premium Funding
The Government provides funding to provide new and sustainable primary school sport. The funding is jointly provided by the Department of Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport and will see money going directly to primary school Head Teacher’s to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. Each school with more than 17 eligible pupils receives £8,000 plus an additional £5 per pupil each year.
Purpose of the funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include, but are not limited to:
– hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
– new or additional sports clubs
– paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
– providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
– running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
– buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
– providing places for pupils at after school sports clubs
How we used our funding
Our PE Sports Premium money has been used for a variety of additional activities encouraging pupils to get involved and take part in sporting events. We run lunchtime and after school clubs and employ a specialist play leader to support our staff and provide excellent provision.